Mini Tomato Pies are kind of like mini pizzas. The flaky pie crust, fresh basil, heirloom cherry tomatoes, greek yogurt and more are not only yummy – but have some nice health benefits as well. Did you know tomatoes are a source of the antioxidant lycopene, which has been linked to reducing the risk of heart disease and cancer? They are also a great source of vitamin C, potassium, folate, and vitamin K. This week on Fresh Tip Tuesday I shared a simple recipe so you can plan ahead and have these yummy pies ANYTIME!
Mini Tomato Pies
- 1 package pie crust dough (I used Wewalka since it does not contain lard)
- 6 oz heirloom cherry tomatoes
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 c. mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 – 3 Tbsp. green yogurt
- 1 tsp Italian Herb Seasoning
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Use a large cookie cutter or mini pie mold to cut out 4″ circle of crust. Spread the crust into silicone muffin mold so that it covers the bottom and sides.
- Bake until light brown, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop cherry tomatoes and remove seeds in a colander and add a pinch of Kosher salt, mix, and set aside to drain.
- Chop basil using Tupperware’s Chop N Prep.
- When crusts have cooled some (you may need to press up the sides if fallen), add chopped fresh basil to tomatoes and fill crusts with tomato mixture.
- Mix cheeses(I shredded it using the GrateMaster Shredder) and greek yogurt in a small bowl with Italian Herb Seasoning.
- Top tomato filled pies with the cheese mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees F until cheese is completely melted, about 5 to 10 min. more. Look for the crust to be light brown and cheese to be bubbly.
- Allow pies to cool briefly then pop out.
- Serve warm or store in FreezerMates for quick snacks or lunch during the week. (They reheat perfect in the MicroPro Grill in just 3 mins)
Makes 6-8 mini pies.
Order your Tupperware Fresh Finds at www.twcorinne.com, or message me at email@example.com/ today to schedule your own Tupperware Party (Facebook or in person) so that you can earn your products for FREE!