Carnival Squash is a hybrid of the sweet dumpling and acorn squash. It usually has a cream-colored background covered with stripes and speckles of green and orange. The price point is low and when roasted or steamed it has a buttery, almost maple syrup-like flavor to it. Full of potassium, Vitamins A & C, folate and omega-6 fatty acids this is a squash you should definitely try. Eat it solo with a little olive oil and brown sugar, or stuff it like the recipe below. Either way, I promise you will love it.
Huge shout out to Farm Fresh Carolina’s for delivering an amazing box of produce this week that inspired the recipe for Fresh Tip Tuesday. If you are in the Fort Mill, SC Area, use code Fresh10 to get $10 off your first box.
Stuffed Carnival Squash
1 carnival squash, cut in half through the stem and seeded
1 C cooked quinoa
1 cups greens (spinach, tatsoi, kale, Swiss chard), cut into ribbons
1 large apple, chopped
1 small head of garlic
2 T olive oil, plus some to coat squash
3 ounces chorizo or sweet sausage, cooked and crumbled or cut into small pieces (I used Vegetarian Smoked Apple Sage Sausauge from Field Roast)
2 T parmesan cheese, shredded
Salt + Pepper
- Prepare quinoa in the Tupperware® Microwave Rice Maker according to the directions in the product insert (1/2 cup quinoa, 1 cups water. Microwave on high power for 5 min and let stand 15 minutes. Allow to cool and fluff with a serving spoon.
- Drizzle the flesh of each squash half with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt, and lay the flesh side down in the Smart MultiCooker. Fill water in the water tray and cook until tender when pricked with a fork, 15-20 minutes.
- Remove MultiCooker from Microwave when done and put greens into the colander insert. Place in MultiCooker and Cover to Steam while you prep filling.
- Cut chorizo in half lengthwise and cook in MicroPro Grill for 3-5 mins (depending on your preference). Dice the apple into small cubes and place them in medium mixing bowl along with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Add the chorizo (cut or crumbled), quinoa, greens and half the cheese.
- Scoop the filling into the cavity of each squash half, piling it into a mountain so that it holds as much as possible. Sprinkle with remaining cheese
Order your Tupperware Fresh Finds at www.twcorinne.com, or message me at email@example.com/ today to schedule your own Tupperware Party (Facebook or in person) so that you can earn your products for FREE!